Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by piffdog »

Even sweeter than winning is listening to those other flogs at Adelaide and Melbourne (Dawson and May respectively) say they’re better than us and should have won the cup. May more so.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda…. Jog on champ!
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
BazBoy
Been liked: 37 times

Post by BazBoy »

Yeah yeah and for them flogs this

“Winners are winners
Losers can please themselves “
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

What I loved was our confidence to kick goals from 50. No farting around with short kicks trying to pass it off. We just went back and kicked it.

And Melbourne barely beat us KB when we had massive flu and injuries.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Geez I thought winning the 17th against Carlton be good

Well this is my solution to aggravate those Melbourne snow bunnies

We knock BlueBaggers off in Preliminary then Melbglum in the GF

Ohhhhhhhhh I love it
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 175 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Mr Miyagi wrote:What I loved was our confidence to kick goals from 50. No farting around with short kicks trying to pass it off. We just went back and kicked it.

I haven't read that it was the case, but without McStay, I wonder if this was indeed the strategy for certain players as opposed to opportunistic. Certainly keep it away from Andrews, but if in range, use your innate skills to have a crack.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Those were 'seize the moment' kicks

We may see One every week, or Two in a game occasionally, but was it 5 ? ONE game, and a Grand Final, they were the exception to the norm.

Crisp, DeGoey,Steel... All true A grade players.

Nick started our scoring, and didn't let us down, followed by Hill, and Hill again. It really settles the nerves and settles the confidence.

Elliott stiff, just some days its 1% they other way, same with Ginnivan, and same with McCreery, they could have had a good day too.

And BTW, if Cox had pulled off that spin and basketball move, we would be building a Statue right now lol

But it's those long bombs all day which kept the score ticking and breaking Brisbane.. they hurt.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

De Goeys one on the siren and the flick hand pass from Nick were both
50 +
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 130 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

LaurieHolden wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:What I loved was our confidence to kick goals from 50. No farting around with short kicks trying to pass it off. We just went back and kicked it.

I haven't read that it was the case, but without McStay, I wonder if this was indeed the strategy for certain players as opposed to opportunistic. Certainly keep it away from Andrews, but if in range, use your innate skills to have a crack.
Dunno if it was coach instructions, think just confidence and a bit of anger. Jordy looked angry when he booted his after Dunkley had kept him quiet. Sidey said, “**** it, why not.” Crisp is known for kicks on the run at 50. I reckon it’s just players taking Fly’s “enjoy footy and be yourselves” mantra. Harris was well held by Billy F in the first half, but could’ve been some instructions not to pass it if you’re within range, the f50 flooded and risk the lions intercepting and going coast to coast
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
woodys_world69
Been liked: 25 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

Every damn grand final... the media say "they should give a medal out to all the players that contributed to that season....

I can guarantee you right now, Taylor Adams wouldnt want a medal to remind him of the zero minutes he played in the GF... or the 10 year and 20 year player reunions he wont be able to go to since they are generally players only.... "omg do u remember when i took that snap from boundary line in the 23 GF?..." and Tay would respond to Checkers.... "yeah yeah....greattt... and remember when... oh wait i didnt play the game"

Nobody in my opinion who plays at the elite level of their sport would want a medal they didnt earn, and they wouldnt feel they earned it if not playing in the GF.

Those players "Tay/Noble/Dan" etc will forever have to live off the joy they brought to there team mates and the collingwood Faithful in getting them to that Day... then being able to fully experience it for themselves.

thats just my rant...and its over now :)
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

Anyone else enjoying all the sooky la la supporters whingeing and whining, saying they were better and should've won, umpiring was bad etc etc? One word responses from me with two emojis like so... FLAGPIES (premiership cup) (smiley face)
Stick that up ya...
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
jonmac1954
Been liked: 19 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Jezza wrote:Goosebumps watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqnQ211Ohs
Goosebumps for sure and this old Pie got just a touch misty.
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

16th Flag
16th Coach
1600th win

Now that's Sweet!
Flagpies
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Endless vids and takes on the game to watch and moments to re-live. I still can't get any work done :P 8)
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Skids »

I'm still pinching myself. I feel relief more than anything. The Collingwood flag hasn't moved from the flagpole and probably won't for some time yet.

When I got my diagnosis last year, all I wanted was to see the Pies win a flag before I cark it. I'm just so grateful for the ride we've had the last couple of years... amazing.
Don't count the days, make the days count.