Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Skids wrote:I'm still pinching myself. I feel relief more than anything. The Collingwood flag hasn't moved from the flagpole and probably won't for some time yet.

When I got my diagnosis last year, all I wanted was to see the Pies win a flag before I cark it. I'm just so grateful for the ride we've had the last couple of years... amazing.
Well, that makes me even happier that it's happened for you.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

The amount of times I've listened to the Cameron -> DeGoey -> Sidey goals has been ridiculous. SEN commentary is the best, "You need you stars and Collingwood's stars just WRENCHED the cup back". Only downside is Kane Cornes.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
duggieboy
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by duggieboy »

Jezza wrote:Goosebumps watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqnQ211Ohs
God this is good.

Worth bumping it up to here, if you haven't seen it yet.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 88 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Skids wrote:I'm still pinching myself. I feel relief more than anything. The Collingwood flag hasn't moved from the flagpole and probably won't for some time yet.

When I got my diagnosis last year, all I wanted was to see the Pies win a flag before I cark it. I'm just so grateful for the ride we've had the last couple of years... amazing.
Sorry to hear of your ill health Skids. Hang in there mate as I suspect we've got another flag coming next year.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I echo the comment of RB. Keep hanging in, ' cos we ain't done yet. Hope you get well Skids.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by think positive »

There is a Skids thread in the Tavern documenting his journey this year, highly recommend the read guys, he’s inspirational.

That clip got me howling again, gets me every time!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
slangman
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by slangman »

I’m still buzzing from two weeks ago.
It’s going to be a great summer ⚫️⚪️⚫️
- Side By Side -
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

duggieboy wrote:
Jezza wrote:Goosebumps watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIqnQ211Ohs
God this is good.

Worth bumping it up to here, if you haven't seen it yet.
I watched that and pulled out a pair of balled up socks and slotted the winning goal through the living room door with a perfect Peter McKenna drop punt like I was 9 years old again.
Skids you're in for a dynasty mate, not going anywhere.
Flagpies
piedys
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by piedys »

Skids wrote:I'm still pinching myself. I feel relief more than anything. The Collingwood flag hasn't moved from the flagpole and probably won't for some time yet...
Mate you haven't said much since the pre-game thread?

Did you and Kell have good seats from the tickets you won?
How did you both handle the anxiety in final term?

I was a **** basket case myself in that last 10 minutes.
The anxiety WAS worse than 2010GF draw, and closing minutes of 2018
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

piedys wrote: I was a **** basket case myself in that last 10 minutes.
The anxiety WAS worse than 2010GF draw, and closing minutes of 2018
Yes, having been through both, I agree. My nervousness never left me until the very end. The ensuing joy hasn’t left me yet
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Presti35
Has liked: 222 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Presti35 »

Sorry if this has been pointed out already, but whist watching the replay I realised that Anthony Daniher and son Joe Daniher have now lost Grand Finals against Collingwood.

Whilst Joes uncle, Chris, also played in 1990, he got a flag in 1993. Terry of course played in 4 GF's; going 2-2 with 3 games against the Hawks and 1 against the Pies.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Presti35 wrote:Sorry if this has been pointed out already, but whist watching the replay I realised that Anthony Daniher and son Joe Daniher have now lost Grand Finals against Collingwood.

Whilst Joes uncle, Chris, also played in 1990, he got a flag in 1993. Terry of course played in 4 GF's; going 2-2 with 3 games against the Hawks and 1 against the Pies.
I loved this.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

I am so glad to be back celebrating Premiership #16. [A little matter of a suspension kept me away]. Wow, what a day. I have never been so nervous, and yet I trusted this side completely.

In the 2010 replay I was supremely confident and really by three quarter time we had it in the bag. In 2018 as soon as we were stitched up by the umpiring non-decision that led to the Sheed goal I did not even watch the last minute of that match. I just knew we'd been fixed up again. Sick to the stomach - not at the boys as much as the umpires.

This time it went down to the wire again, and yet I watched every glorious second. As soon as Sidey kicked his 80 metre torp I knew we had them. Even after Brisbane answered quickly I just had that feeling the boys would not let this one slip. And they didn't! Heroes the lot of them.

Doesn't it sound good to call Pendlebury and Sidebottom dual premiership players.

Now for back to back. Go Pies!
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by shawthing »

I just want to add a few more kudos to players that many of us have questioned during the year. I thought their grand finals were stupendous!

Obviously Bobbie was the deserving Norm Smith!

1. Tom Mitchell - what a beast. The more you look at the replay the more you realise the work he did in and under was absolutely dynamite. Top recruit for this job.

2. Oleg Markov - what more is there to say about this livewire. He's now a deserved cult hero, but his constant running was only bettered by Bobbie Hill imo. Another recruiting masterstroke.

3. Will Hoskin-Elliott - I think I've questioned him in the past because he never seems to be going at full pace, but geez he was good when it mattered, especially after we lost Murphy.

4. Jordon De Goey - that last quarter goal repaid the club for every bit of support it has given him in his career and announced him as the next Dusty Martin.

5. Pat Lipinski - Now I've been very hard on this kid all season, but he really contributed when it mattered in the grand final. He'll never be a DeGoey or a Nick Daicos, but as Fly says he can run all day and now he's proven he can go hard on the biggest stage I think he might have a big year in 2024.

One final mention, but I haven't included him in the list because we've never really doubted his talent, but Jack Crisp is an out and out star. An elite kick who simply has the ability to destroy an opposition with his pace, long kicking and important goals. The fact he did it against his old club that didn't want him will make him very proud indeed.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 118 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ And, best of all, he's played in 115 victories with Collingwood in the 208 games he's played with us. For comparison, Brisbane gave him as the "extra" in a deal to snare a player who managed just 11 victories in his 58 games with them.

That's about right, I guess - he's about 10-times the player they traded him for.