Gun laws in USA??

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 96 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:bloody hell (but gees with the guns they have they must be shit shots)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/7-killed-m ... -1.5478749

speaking of bloody hell all the knife attacks in oz right now WTF,
Imagine going to the shops here, everyone is carrying a gun. You walk into a shop without doing the QR code check in. Some busybody sees that, yellsnout Oi Bitch and shoots you,which prompts someone else to get offended and shoot them, which prompts.....chain reaction.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Two days before the start of summer break, an 18-year-old man opened fire at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday, killing 14 students and one teacher, Gov. Greg Abbott said.

Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District police Chief Pete Arredondo said there also were multiple injuries from a "mass casualty incident" at Robb Elementary in Uvalde. The gunman is believed to have acted alone and is dead, he said.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/24/us/u ... index.html

I heard on the radio unconfirmed, that the dead students are all in the Grade 2-4 range. Little kids. :(

While you're processing that, let this sink in.
This marks at least the 30th shooting at a K-12 school in 2022.
that's 30. This year. 2022. And just K-12 schools. :shock: :cry:
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by David »

Unfathomable and intolerable. In a sane world there would be a nationwide general strike until as many guns as possible have been seized and destroyed.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by think positive »

dont worry thoughts and prayers are all thats needed apparently.

that and armed security guards in every school.

they really dont see how bizarre it is to utter that.

honestly, this is the second week in a row ive been dumb enough to engage in one of these threads, and the kids from last week are already forgotten by these damn fools and their precious damn guns!!

madness.

those poor children and their poor parents. The bullet proof shields they have built into their school bags only work if the school bag is close enough and they manage to use it. all those kids.... damn hell
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

David wrote:Unfathomable and intolerable. In a sane world there would be a nationwide general strike until as many guns as possible have been seized and destroyed.
Understandable response but not practical or worthwhile.

Need to look at why this is happening, and I don't believe it's simply a matter of gun availability. The US, as a nation, has deep psychological issues that can't be fixed quickly, and won't be fixed at all until enough of them admit there is a problem.
kill for collingwood!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Apart from availability of guns, I'm not sure you can pin down a single or even a top 5 list of reasons. The US is a big joint and hardly has a uniform culture.

This is worth a look. https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

A Mass Shooting is defined as an event where 4 or more people are killed/injured. So far in 2022 there's been more than 1 event per day.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by What'sinaname »

David wrote:Unfathomable and intolerable. In a sane world there would be a nationwide general strike until as many guns as possible have been seized and destroyed.
The horse has bolted on the issue of gun control when you have 400 million guns in a population of 300 million. This is what the American people have wanted and voted for over the past 200+ years.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

The biggest problem is that the NRA will “go to war” if they ban guns. They have donated funds to the republicans party for years and the party will just about fall apart without this I’ll(mainly right wing) support. So it has also been a political problem as well as a security problem. I have always thought that the perfect time to take action against guns was after the Sandy Hook shootings of little kids. That they couldn’t do it then showed just how powerful the US gun lobby is. Sadly it’s a monumental problem that won’t go away.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Lazza wrote:The biggest problem is that the NRA will “go to war” if they ban guns. They have donated funds to the republicans party for years and the party will just about fall apart without this I’ll(mainly right wing) support. So it has also been a political problem as well as a security problem. I have always thought that the perfect time to take action against guns was after the Sandy Hook shootings of little kids. That they couldn’t do it then showed just how powerful the US gun lobby is. Sadly it’s a monumental problem that won’t go away.
In a nutshell.

On the six road trips I’ve done I’ve talked to many people about the guns, and none of them have wanted them not one. I have one nutjob friend on Facebook carrying on about it, but the rest don’t want it, it’s mystifying how the nra is so powerful. Someone should go wipe them out! It’s disgusting. Truly disgusting.

I’ve made no secret of my love for the states, but I’m pretty much done with trips there, just one more planned in a couple of years. And I won’t be going lower than Montana, or maybe Charlotte raceway. I want to go back to Yellowstone and grand Teton, and drive up to Canada. I’d love another Coca Cola 600 weekend at Charlotte, but that’s it. It makes me so damn sad.

Trump, and his bullshit covid non action, and the guns, yeah, the US is $@&^# until they get someone with the guts to do something.

Rights? What about the rights of others?
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Lazza wrote:The biggest problem is that the NRA will “go to war” if they ban guns. They have donated funds to the republicans party for years and the party will just about fall apart without this I’ll(mainly right wing) support. So it has also been a political problem as well as a security problem. I have always thought that the perfect time to take action against guns was after the Sandy Hook shootings of little kids. That they couldn’t do it then showed just how powerful the US gun lobby is. Sadly it’s a monumental problem that won’t go away.
The National Rifle Association is pleased to announce that former President Donald Trump will headline a star-studded cast of political heavyweights at the NRA Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) Leadership Forum on Friday, May 27, at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston.
think positive

Post by think positive »

What'sinaname wrote:
The National Rifle Association is pleased to announce that former President Donald Trump will headline a star-studded cast of political heavyweights at the NRA Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) Leadership Forum on Friday, May 27, at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston.
Hmm, a little vengeance could be justice
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

I am Da Man
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote: In a nutshell.

On the six road trips I’ve done I’ve talked to many people about the guns, and none of them have wanted them not one. I have one nutjob friend on Facebook carrying on about it, but the rest don’t want it, it’s mystifying how the nra is so powerful. Someone should go wipe them out! It’s disgusting. Truly disgusting.
Yeah it's funny. I'm a gun owner and it only registered with me that I was in a different world when I was in Texas (which is an open carry state) and saw signs at the baseball stadium and a couple of bars prohibiting bringing in guns.

I mean, WTF? Sorry mate, you can't bring your M16 or Uzi into the game, but you're welcome to take it to Walmart or Walgreens. Pick up a sandwich and some ammo while you're there.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote: In a nutshell.

Yeah it's funny. I'm a gun owner and it only registered with me that I was in a different world when I was in Texas (which is an open carry state) and saw signs at the baseball stadium and a couple of bars prohibiting bringing in guns.

I mean, WTF? Sorry mate, you can't bring your M16 or Uzi into the game, but you're welcome to take it to Walmart or Walgreens. Pick up a sandwich and some ammo while you're there.
No one is allowed M16’s or Uzi’s
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

depends on which state
pretty sure you are allowed uzi and assault rifles in Texas
you can even get full auto versions with a little extra paperwork