Post Match. Pies dump Dees. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

schuey07

Post by schuey07 »

3rd degree wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:How the f... did we lose to West Coast?
Can you ever be positive ?
I think they gave the yibbida, yibbida at half time in the game thread. That aged well.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Love Checkers leadership and camaraderie in our F50.
Just watching replay now. He kicks the goal after the kick from Henry. He immediately starts running and rustles the hair of Jack Ginnivan, saying "yes, we can do this. Game on!!".
Checkers is a superstar.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

The most pleasing was how we seem to Outplay/Dominate the Dees for Majority of the Game just took to last qtr to really put it on the Board
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Dave The Man »

The most pleasing was how we seem to Outplay/Dominate the Dees for Majority of the Game just took to last qtr to really put it on the Board
I am Da Man
Cam
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Nick Daicos makes everyone around him better. Case in point. WHE. With lil Daics pinpointing him suddenly WHE becomes the silky cream on the cake. And if you told me we would be 8-5 at the bye and one game out of the top 4 and 2 games off top spot I would have been a bit pleasantly surprised to say the least. Our percentage shows we are punching above our weight but our next month could be very interesting.
Last edited by Cam on Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get back on top.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Magpietothemax wrote:Love Checkers leadership and camaraderie in our F50.
Just watching replay now. He kicks the goal after the kick from Henry. He immediately starts running and rustles the hair of Jack Ginnivan, saying "yes, we can do this. Game on!!".
Checkers is a superstar.
Heart and soul, a player of incredible courage and bullocking importance. How many other B+ graders are playing in the VFA ? It’s an amazing story.
stoliboy
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by stoliboy »

That last Crisp goal in the final quarter was sensational. If there is a "team goal of the year" that should win.

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/15362546 ... 3a79EqAAAA

This video misses some of the buildup to the goal.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

One of the best wins I've seen live in a long time!!
We were on from the first bounce, but just couldn't kick straight.
I knew we were up for it though. We outplayed them for most of the match. When we tackle and pressure like that, we rarely lose.
Coxy, take a bow. He was huge.
Go The PIES!!!!!
F*%K MND
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by doriswilgus »

The best thing about the game was the way we finished it off.Once we hit the lead,we didn’t try to save the game by chipping the ball around,we played all out attack and tried to score as many goals as we could.We went for the kill and really finished them off.I haven’t seen that from a Collingwood team in a long,long time.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

McCreery is a gun. Just watched his tackle on Lever, just smashed him in it, like a polar bear. Relentless. And then went back to kick the goal.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 104 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Tactic of the day goes to Sidey on Langdon, took him out of the game on the wing and switching with Hosk
Yes ! Langdon is super important to the Dees extra. It takes a lot of guile and experience to take Langdon to places where he becomes ineffective and Sidey did it very well, particularly in the first half. W H E was also good today helping out behind the ball ( likely picking up Langdon and co on the way through )
McRae is getting a lot of credit and rightly so but Leppa is the defensive and strategy coach and Bolton is a smart cookie. It’s quite likely the smartest pit crew in the competition. The defence has tightened up considerably and I sometimes wonder if the aim was to get the front half sorted out first before they went to work on the back half.
Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

doriswilgus wrote:The best thing about the game was the way we finished it off.Once we hit the lead,we didn’t try to save the game by chipping the ball around,we played all out attack and tried to score as many goals as we could.We went for the kill and really finished them off.I haven’t seen that from a Collingwood team in a long,long time.
Yeah, it was a notable difference from the last couple of weeks where we got ahead and then hung on for grim death. I guess it depends on whether you've got the run or not. We clearly didn't against Carlton, but we did today. You've got to learn how to play both ways.

Probably the most encouraging thing is that we're completely dominating marks inside 50 over the last few weeks. We were giving them up in bunches a few weeks ago (even in the win over GC, we gave up a heap), so it's good to see the defence get that under control. Maybe they're just learning to play the system McRae wants them to.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

schuey07 wrote:We did well in getting Fly. Not a big name but what we needed.
Agree.

I don't want to gloat too much, but I feel like those of us who were pushing for Buckley to depart last year are vindicated now, despite some of the abuse we received.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by Jezza »

Great win.

Incredible to see the improvement in this team manifest itself in defeating the reigning premiers. Melbourne's in a slump, but they're a team I still believe will be contending at the pointy end of the season. I thought we had a chance once May was suspended, because he dominates aerially in Melbourne's defensive 50 which makes it hard for opposition to score against them. Removing him opened up opportunities for us.

Another wonderful performance by Nick Daicos. Backed up what he did against Hawthorn, and did it without fuss. It's mind boggling how a 13-gamer is winning the ball as often as he is.

Strong performance yet again by Jack Crisp. I'd back him in to win consecutive Copeland Trophies, which is incredible for a player we once described as "steak knives".

Mason Cox was very good and was useful with his aerial dominance. If he dominates the air, he looks like a decent player worthy of being in the senior team. I've been openly hard on him, but all I can say is well done to him. Hopefully we see more performances like that going forward.

What McRae has produced with this team is remarkable. Fast, hard and direct football which is what the supporters have wanted for years. We're an exciting team to watch under him.

Don't mind having the bye now. We've had an intense month of footy, so it will help the players to physically and mentally recharge for a big second half of the year.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Monco Matt

Post by Monco Matt »

Best win for the season, better than the Carlton and Hawks wins I'd say. This one was different. Yes, it was similar in that we wasted opportunities early as we often do, but to finish the game full of run powering home kicking 9 of the last 10 goals or something was simply awesome to watch!!

Cox, Crisp and N.Daicos were the standouts with Maynard doing a perfect shutdown on Fritsch who is their most dangerous forward was important. J. Daicos was fantastic as well.

A welcomed return to the goal kicking ranks for Checkers. Has been a little quite the last two weeks but delivered today, so too did Elliott. I love that we have multiple goal scoring options now. If a few guys are quiet then a few others step up, it makes us hard to match up on. The midfield is working well together, running in waves with overlap handball breaking into space often, this is really a 1-wood for us now. Our run is elite. Just amazing to see!! They are playing beyond a level I thought them capable of at the start of the year. So many of the young kids have come on big time. McCreery, Henry, Ginni, Lipinski, N. Daics, although Henry and Ginni were quiet today they both had important moments and impacted. This has been huge!

Coxy, Coxy, Coxy!! What can I say about this game you just gave us? Big marks all over the ground, linking up with the mids, creating space, competing in the packs, throwing your body around causing havoc and how about that massive goal on the run if you don't mind. Like a gazelle prancing across the African savanna plains. This was the highlight of the day and I knew we had them on toast in that moment.

I've had a few glasses of red today and am just about wiped out from the emotion of the day. BUT, I'm going to have a last big "Johnny Depp Mega-Pint" right now and watch the replay. Go the Mighty Pies!! You little beauty!! :D
RED "BABY" CAVANAUGH: Didn't hear what the bet was.

MONCO: Your life.