Post Grand Final. Sweet 16. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Culprit »

What'sinaname wrote:At 16, we are level with Carlton in terms of GFs won.

Essendon have won only 14 Grand Finals - 1897 and 1924 were round robin finals.
Back to Back waits for us.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Magpies Nest wrote:I haven't posted in a long time but today is as good a reason as any! My family have been lifelong Collingwood supporters, but unfortunately my sister succumbed to cancer on Tuesday of this week so didn't get to enjoy todays result. Mind you, I'd like to think maybe she had some sort of influence over the result from the great beyond! GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for your loss, Magpies Nest. Nothing can replace someone close, but September will always bring her near. Take care.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
mgh3536

Post by mgh3536 »

Just really good games in crucial areas today for Cox and Mitchel, Cameron in the last quarter was good as well.

what a win pies , great coaching Fly, stuck to the plan and didnt panic when Murphy went off

Sidey, streched the hammys late...

so proud to be a pie
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Big T »

swoop42 wrote:Get your 2023 Premiership poster here:

https://herald-sun-shop.myshopify.com/
Ordered from sleepy Christchurch. Honestly the greatest day of my life. This team is something else.
Buon Giorno
Piethagoras' Theorem
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

swoop42 wrote:
pietillidie wrote:One thing that wasn't called live, likely because it was hard to pick the ball up, was that Sidey's goal was a barrel, wasn't it? I've watched and re-watched, looking at his hands and the trajectory, and what we can see of the ball, and I'm sure that was a torp, which would've been mentioned had the footage picked it up.

Whatever the case, no other player in the side could've pulled that out at that moment. With Jamie's kick dropping short at the other end, he read the moment, that's for sure.

Edit: Yes, 100%, that's a huge barrel! What kahunas!

If it was a torpedo that makes it an even more incredible moment.

I didn't think he had the distance in him, he probably didn't either hence the decision to unleash the barrel.
I was sitting close to the 50 metre line on level 2 and pretty sure it was a drop punt
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
DT
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

What a day! It was awesome being there celebrating with friends and the mighty Collingwood army.

I was quietly confident before and at 3:4 time. Hat tip to JDG and Sidey for some brilliant goals.

You bloody beauty!!!
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
Piethagoras' Theorem

I was singing country road, **** off home :P :P :P
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

A really warm, feel-good post-match presser with Fly and Bobby that really captures the ethos of the club:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1046784/fu ... MATCH:5888
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
eddiesmith
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by eddiesmith »

The greatest game I've ever been to, better than 2010 and how sweet it is!!!

It's great to see that 2 years of training for these games actually paid off when it counted, I was worried for just a second that this would be the one that we'd lose but all day we had the answer and we never let them get away, but at the same time we never really put them away either with soo many wasted opportunities.

But Steele Sidebottom kicking a 55m drop punt to win the game!!! He hasn't kicked 50m or a straight drop punt for 10 years!!!
TassiePie1990

Post by TassiePie1990 »

Camera person had a nightmare…. Between missing KISS smashing the guitar and Steele Sidebottoms poor angle on that shot of goal!
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

What'sinaname wrote:At 16, we are level with Carlton in terms of GFs won.

Essendon have won only 14 Grand Finals - 1897 and 1924 were round robin finals.
Well we finally won a close one.
You and I will have to move from pessimist to optimist.
One for the pool room.
Bloody so happy.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
pietillidie wrote:One thing that wasn't called live, likely because it was hard to pick the ball up, was that Sidey's goal was a barrel, wasn't it? I've watched and re-watched, looking at his hands and the trajectory, and what we can see of the ball, and I'm sure that was a torp, which would've been mentioned had the footage picked it up.

Whatever the case, no other player in the side could've pulled that out at that moment. With Jamie's kick dropping short at the other end, he read the moment, that's for sure.

Edit: Yes, 100%, that's a huge barrel! What kahunas!

I didn't think he had the distance in him, he probably didn't either hence the decision to unleash the barrel.
I was sitting close to the 50 metre line on level 2 and pretty sure it was a drop punt
Not sure if the images below will be clear enough to be helpful, but look at the ball drop and trajectory, and then it dropping from its highest point as torps do.

I might be going mad, but also if it is a barrel, that makes it an even bigger moment. Here's the clip: https://www.afl.com.au/video/1046784/fu ... MATCH:5888
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pietillidie on Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by Big T »

Anyone have a link to the boys singing the song? Not shown on fox
Buon Giorno
Piethagoras' Theorem

pietillidie wrote:
Piethagoras' Theorem wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Not sure if the images below will be clear enough to be helpful, but look at the ball drop and trajectory, and then it dropping from its highest point as torps do.

I might be going mad, but also if it is a barrel, that makes it an even bigger moment. Here's the clip: https://www.afl.com.au/video/1046784/fu ... MATCH:5888
I was watching the kick, side on , about 50 metres away and it looked like a drop punt . He held the ball like he was about to launch a torp but I'm fairly certain he didn't. About 20 drunk Collingwood supporters at the essendon hotel, here with me, agree :D :lol:
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 176 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Donny. You've been amazing all of these years.
Irrespective of the outcome, you front up,.no emotion, just the facts.
I doff my my lid. I'm so happy.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers